Tuesday 21 August 2012

Advocating for Another Day 1 ~ Portrait Post


August is "Advocating for Another" month and WEGO Health is running another of its great blog carnivals as an opportunity for bloggers who dedicate their time to caring and/or advocating for another to share their thoughts and ideas on the subject. With a preset list of topics in 4 different categories, hundreds of bloggers will contribute daily posts to the carnival between August 21st and 28th. 

Day 1's topic is entitled Portrait Post, and asks bloggers to "write a descriptive portrait of your child/ren. Share qualities that make them, them – and include an image! (A photo or creative work of them!):"

As soon as I read the topic, I knew what I wanted to share. I have mentioned previously that Dylan has recently taken up vocal and instrumental performance and participates in a weekly performance class. Twice per year the kids have a live concert, in which they perform for their parents and peers. Two months ago, in June, Dylan performed a haunting cover of Coldplay's "Fix You" in front of a live audience of approximately 250 people. 

As a parent, I think I was more nervous for Dylan than he was. Unlike his ability to easily learn music for instrumental play (he plays the sax and the guitar), he's not a strong singer. And "Fix You" is not an easy song to sing. Most kids chose faster paced rock songs, or newer pop songs by idols like Taylor Swift. Not Dyl. He wanted to sing "Fix You" because he knows it's one of my favorite songs, and a song whose lyrics remind me of diabetes and my "inability" to fix my son's disease.

Courage is one of the qualities that I most admire in Dylan. He has an ability to do whatever he wants without any regard for what others think. And not in an arrogant manner. He is simple sure of himself. Self consciousness? He doesn't have it. Timidity? No, none of that either. Self doubt? No way. He is uber-comfortable in his own skin. I only WISH I had that level of confidence.




No comments:

Post a Comment