Saturday 2 March 2013

Paleo Mexican Beef Soup

I've been eating paleo for two months now, and while my kids will gobble up the occasional paleo meal, they're not ready to jump on board full-time, so I tend to nab whatever chance I get to cook paleo food that my kids will enjoy. This morning I lucked out when I was hit with a wave of creativity while cruising through old facebook posts. I saw pic of a beef stew/soup posted by a friend on mine and fellow blogger mom over at momontherun.ca and decided to use the pic as inspiration for lunch!!


A quick look in the fridge revealed we had lots of fresh veggies, as well the end of a roast beef from the the previous night's dinner. I literally started cutting things up and tossing them into a big pot. Once it was all in, I brought the pot to a boil, then simmered, covered, for 1/2 an hour. I ladled the soup into bowls and topped it with sliced avocado. and a dollop of organic greek yogurt (my one paleo exception). So delicious, and a great warmer on a cold rainy day. Makes 8 bowls.

Finished product before serving
Ingredients
28 ounce tin diced tomatoes
tin tomato paste
6 cups reduced sodium beef stock
2 cups water
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium yellow onion, diced
3 cups cubed cooked roast beef
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
2 tsp oregano
1 small green pepper, diced
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup celery, diced
3 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
1/2 cups cilantro, chopped


Topped with avocado and greek yogurt
Nutritional Information (per bowl, without toppings)
Calories 234, Fat 3.6 g, Saturated fat 1.1 g, Sodium 1220 mg, Potassium 717 mg, Carbohydrates 27.6 g, Fiber 4.6 g, Protein 23.8 g

No comments:

Post a Comment