Monday 11 June 2012

The Bigger Picture; Reflections on the First 90 Days

Today marks the last day of my first 90 day challenge, and I wanted to take this opportunity not only to document my success, but to reflect on how much my opinion about the company itself has evolved over the course of the 3 months.

When I began my challenge in March, I was excited to try something new. I had been feeling run down, tired, and burned out, for quite some time, and I knew something had to change. My brother and his wife had recently got involved with the Body by Vi 90 Day Challenge and had experienced some pretty awesome results, so I thought I'd give it a try. Starting on the most basic kit they offer, I drank one of their protein/nutritional shakes per day, instead of eating breakfast. Within a few days I could feel an increase in my energy level and a feeling like something was coming alive in my body. It's hard to describe, but it felt almost like my body was reacting at a cellular level; like parts of me that had been dormant for ages were suddenly waking up. As days passes, I felt better and better and noticed I was losing weight too! My clothes fit better and I felt incredible.

At the same time I started to notice that I could run easier. A LOT easier. I was running faster than before, over the same distance, but was less tired, both during and at the end. So I started pushing my body harder and harder to see what it could do. Halfway through the 90 days I ran a half-marathon and finished 14 minutes faster than the half I had run 10 months prior. My training hadn't changed at all, only my diet. In fact, I was careful not to change anything about my training because I wanted to see exactly how much this new nutritional program was helping me. I ran the same amount of days each week, and the same distances I had run the previous year leading up to the half marathon.

At this point I started to get really excited about this program, so I upgraded my personal kit, and I signed on to start promoting the challenge too. I've always been a big supporter of a healthy active lifestyle, so it was a natural step for me to start sharing the 90 Day Challenge with others. Through the month of May I experienced some pretty decent success. I made my initial little investment back in the first couple of weeks and at the end of the month I qualified for the company's BMW program, which means that they now pay for me monthly to drive a BMW. I can drive any model, black, silver, or green, new or used, leased or financed, and they will contribute $600 a month towards its cost.

All very exciting, yes, but I still didn't understood the true potential of this company, and their goals for the future, until recently. I didn't stop to think about why the 90 Day Challenge is the largest and fastest growing health platform in North America, or why the company is experiencing massive record setting growth when other companies are struggling to stay afloat in today's economy. I didn't see the bigger picture. I didn't understand their "why". Until now.

Last weekend I had the pleasure of attending a regional training event, at which numerous different individuals spoke about their success within the organization. One of the speakers was co-founder Blake Mallen, who spoke about the company's past, present, and future. At some point during his speech I experience a shift in perspective so monumental that it completely altered the way I view the entire program and my purpose within it.

For me now, the 90 Day Challenge is no longer just about weight loss, or nutrition, or athletic performance; it's about being part of a movement that can and will literally change the world as we know it. It's about helping people achieve their goals, live a long and healthy life, and be proud of who they are. It's about standing up to the fast food industry and giving them the finger; saying no thanks, we'll take it from here.

Most importantly, it is about changing society so that obesity rates start to decline for the first time ever; so certain health conditions, such as heart disease, some types of cancer, hypertension, high blood pressure, and type 2 diabetes, start to become less and less common. Because while many of us know that diet and lifestyle are not solely responsible for any medical condition, they play a huge role in the development of so many different diseases. It is in our power to change that, and this company not only wants to help us do just that, they are giving us to the tools to make it happen.

So what will the next 90 days bring? Stay tuned, it's going to be a wild ride!

For more information about the 90 Day Challenge, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment