Thursday 1 August 2013

Diabetes Camp Rocks! (365:1)

Diabetes camp can be one of THE most amazing experience for a child with type 1 diabetes. Fully supervised by medical professionals, with trained and knowledgeable staff, it provides an opportunity for d-kids to experience all the activities and fun of residential summer camp in a diabetes-safe environment. Plus it offers the added bonus of introducing kids to other boys and girls with type 1, so they can swap stories, compare histories, voice complaints about d, whatever they want, all to someone else who actually GETS it. Empowerment is the goal here, and camp staff teach and encourage kids to self-manage their diabetes,while fostering a growing sense of independence.

At camp pick up, holding his bag of d-supplies and sporting his new camp toque

This year was Dyl's 5th time at Camp Kakhamela on BC's Sunshine Coast, and his best camp yet. They had flawless weather, he made tons of new friends, and he even learned to sail! Can't wait for next year!

Kakhamela is one of 12 Canadian Diabetes Association overnight camps. For full info, visit www.dcamps.ca/.

2 comments:

  1. Forgive me if this sounds harsh, but I had a really hard time getting past that first sentence. I went to diabetes camp a few months after being diagnosed, and I hated it. Absolutely HATED it (in all capital letters!). I tried it again six years later, and rated it as "eh", but not something I'd want to do again.

    Putting those expectations on a child (or yourself), makes it really hard on the child (and parent) to come to terms with things if the outcome is not so good. I have no issue with encouraging kids to try something new, but be careful when telling them how they are supposed to feel about it.

    (By the way, my experience and takeaways are solely because of me and the person that I was at the time -- it is not a reflection on the camp whatsoever. Plenty of others had completely different opinions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear you had a negative camp experience Scott. The dozens or parents I've met/spoken to about Camp Kakhamela have shared my enthusiasm and said their kids loved their camp time. Maybe the camps have gotten better over time, or maybe we're just lucky to have a really great one nearby. It's always been a positive experience for us. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete