Tuesday 20 September 2011

What's Next?

It's been a month to the day since I returned home after riding across BC for the Cyclebetes National Relay. I've been keeping up with my exercise somewhat, mostly with running, but I feel like I need an extra motivator - I need a race or an event to train for and keep me focussed.

There are three different half marathons coming up during the Canadian Thanksgiving long weekend (Oct 8-10) and I've decided to run one of them, I just don't know which one! Two of them are on Sunday the 9th, and one is on the holiday Monday. The two Sunday races are the BMO Okanagan Marathon in Kelowna, and the GoodLife Fitness Marathon in Victoria. Both offer half marathon distances, both are within about 3 hours of my house and would require an overnight stay the night before. The Kelowna race I have done before. In fact, it was the first ever half marathon I ran. The course is pancake flat, and has some stunning scenery as you run from city center, along the waterfront of Lake Okanagan, to Summerhill winery and back. The weather should be cold but clear. The Victoria marathon, on the other hand, would be totally new to me. I don't know the course at all, but that can make it more fun. The weather is unpredictable in Victoria, however. It could be cool and clear, or it could be heavy rain, or anything in between...

Finally, the Monday race is the North Shore Half Marathon, which is basically in my back yard. It starts about a ten minute drive east of my house and follows the waterfront for 21.2 kilometers, ending about a ten minute drive west of my house. There is one long steep downhill, but otherwise it's flat. Again, weather is unpredictable in early October.

Registration for any of the races can be done up to 2 days prior to the race itself, so for now, I think I'll just keep training and see how I feel come race time!

No comments:

Post a Comment