Saturday 17 November 2012

Diabetes Playlist


Why do I associate certain songs with diabetes? Each of the songs below has a story; a memory that forever binds it with diabetes. These songs carry weight in my heart and can bring tears to my eyes within seconds.

Without further ado, here are the top 6 songs on my "diabetes playlist":

1) "Fix You" by Coldplay. Aside from the obvious message in the lyrics, this haunting song is my favorite diabetes song for two reasons. First of all, when Cyclebetes (the diabetes cycling team I am part of) was first formed, this was used as an unofficial theme song of sorts. Second, Dylan sang this song earlier this year in front of an audience of about 250 people and it was one of the most emotional experiences of my life.

2) "Breathe Again" by Sara Bareilles. I first heard this song at the 2010 Vancouver JDRF Gala, as the background music to an awareness video created by a mom who had multiple children with type 1 diabetes. The lyrics and melody touched my heart, and the song has been on my playlist ever since.

3) "Invincible" by Hedley. Dylan's theme song. This local band is from Vancouver, where I live, and I've followed their rise to fame for years. While this song is great on its own, the music video enhances its power, as the song speaks to overcoming any and all obstacles.

4) "Have a Little Faith in Me" by Joe Cocker. Just a little reminder to get stop believing in yourself because truly anything is possible if you set your mind to it.

5) "Superwoman" by Alicia Keys. I first heard this song at a benefit concert for TEAM DYLAN in 2010 and it immediately struck a chord with me. To all my d-mommas out there, this one is for you.

6) "I Believe" by Nikki Yanofsky. The official theme song of the 2010 Winter Olympics, this song speaks of the sacrifices we make to achieve our dreams. My theme song :)

No comments:

Post a Comment