Wednesday 21 November 2012

What Does 7 Years with Diabetes Look Like?

I'm deviating from the NHBPM prompts today because it's Dylan's 7 year anniversary of the day he was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes.

7 years ago today we found out that Dylan has type 1 diabetes (his diagnosis story can be found here).  That's significantly more than half of his lifetime. And while we're not big on celebrating his diaversary, this is how 7 years with diabetes breaks down, from a basic care standpoint:

15,340+ finger pokes
2190 injections (pre-pump)
609+ infusion set changes
1092 lows (avg of 3/week)
4 hypoglycemic seizures
3 hospitalizations
Approximately 63,800 units of insulin
$55,000+ spent on diabetes supplies
2557 days of worry
1 still-broken pancreas in a child only 11 years old

Diabetes is 24/7/365. Imagine what these numbers will look like after 20 years, or 40, or 80...

1 comment:

  1. Man, those are some big numbers.

    I'm sure the diaversary thing is a tough thing. I choose to give myself a big pat on the back and acknowledge all of the hard work I've done taking care of myself over the past year.

    ReplyDelete