Friday 26 August 2011

Unsupervised BG testing

While I was away last week for the Cyclebetes national relay, my son was home with his older brother and my husband, which meant I wasn't here to keep him on top of his bg testing. And frankly, I find the idea of him taking responsibility for his own diabetes care is both exciting and frightening.

Dylan has always been mature for his age, especially when it comes to looking after his diabetes, but he is 10 after all, and is apt to make mistakes. Nonetheless I left him in charge of his testing I was gone for exactly 1 week and I uploaded his pump data when I returned last weekend. 

Results: I was very pleasantly surprised to see that he tested an average of 4.8 times per day. No, this is not the 6+ times he SHOULD be testing daily, but it's still pretty good. There was just 1 day that was scary. On the Wednesday he didn't test at all - NOT ONCE between the time he woke up and the time he went to bed (which also means that his average was better than 4.8 times per day because this big "0" certainly lowered the daily average). He also changed his own infusion set not once, but twice, all my himself!!

So overall, I can't complain. While the one missed day is scary as hell, he did a pretty darn good job looking after his own diabetes care. Way to go Dyl!

No comments:

Post a Comment